A billboard on the east side of Indianapolis is catching the eyes of drivers, along with the ire of local Muslim groups.
You can spot the sign from the southbound lanes of I-465 near the Washington Street exit. It claims to list the “perfect man,” but opponents say it degrades the Muslim prophet Mohammad.
“I was a little disappointed when I saw that,” said Farial Khatri of the Islamic Society of North America.
Opponents say the billboard’s bullet points are meant to disparage the Muslim faith and its primary prophet, Mohammad. “We’ve seen them in New York and several others cities on billboards as well as other transit ads,” said Kahtri.
There’s no company name or identifying group on the display, but Google “Truthophobes,” a word seen at the bottom of the billboard, and you’ll find a range of websites rife with anti-Muslim messages.
“We do support free speech, but we do realize this is also rooted in bigotry,” said Kahtri.
Other groups say they want to do more than just speak out against the display. The Muslim Alliance of Indiana says it’s planning to raise money to put up its own billboard nearby to spread a message of peace and kindness.
Let’s see if there is any truth to the ‘perfect man’ billboard, shall we?
The billboard then lists six bullet points about Mohammed to describe him. The points include: “Married a 6-year-old,” “Slave owner & dealer,” “rapist,” “Beheaded 600 Jews in one day,” “13 wives, 11 at one time” and “Tortured & killed unbelievers.”
Let us review and compare each point with history to see if this billboard is ‘hate speech’ or the truth.
- Did Mohammad marry a 6-year old?: Did Mohammad really marry a 6-year old girl? Yes, according to the online Muslim community Ummah. “Prophet married Aisha when she was 6-years-old and consummated his marriage with her when she was 9. He was then, 54 years old.” source Result: TRUE
- Was Mohammad was a slave owner and trader?: Much could be written about Muhammad’s prolific and well-documented relationship with slaves, but one of the most insightful examples comes from this hadith (which is repeated elsewhere):
The Prophet sent for a woman from the emigrants and she had a slave who was a carpenter. The Prophet said to her “Order your slave to prepare the wood (pieces) for the pulpit.” So, she ordered her slave who went and cut the wood from the tamarisk and prepared the pulpit, for the Prophet. When he finished the pulpit, the woman informed the Prophet that it had been finished. The Prophet asked her to send that pulpit to him, so they brought it. The Prophet lifted it and placed it at the place in which you see now. (Bukari 47:743)
According to this hadith, the very pulpit that Muhammad preached Islam from was constructed from slave labor on his command! source Result: TRUE
- Was Mohammad a rapist?: It is against Islam to rape Muslim women, but Muhammad actually encouraged the rape of others captured in battle. This hadith provides the context for the Qur’anic verse (4:24):
The Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) sent a military expedition to Awtas on the occasion of the battle of Hunain. They met their enemy and fought with them. They defeated them and took them captives. Some of the Companions of the Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) were reluctant to have intercourse with the female captives in the presence of their husbands who were unbelievers. So Allah, the Exalted, sent down the Qur’anic verse: (Sura 4:24) “And all married women (are forbidden) unto you save those (captives) whom your right hands possess.” (Abu Dawud 2150, also Muslim 3433)
Actually, as the hadith indicates, it wasn’t Muhammad, but “Allah the Exalted” who told the men to rape the women in front of their husbands – which is all the more reason to think of Islam differently from other religions. source Result: TRUE
- Did Mohammad behead 600 Jews in one day?: Muhammad and his band of immigrants arrived in Medina in 622 completely dependent on the hospitality of the three Jewish tribes that lived there alongside the Arabs. In less than two years, two of the tribes that had welcomed him, the Banu Qaynuqa and the Banu Nadir would be evicted, losing their land and their wealth to the Muslims as soon as their guests gained the power to conquer and confiscate. Muhammad accomplished this by deftly exploiting his opponents divisions. The Banu Qurayza trible, all Jewish, were put to death by beheading with the approval of Mohammad. source Result: TRUE
- Did Mohammad have 13 wives?: According to Anas ibn Malik, the Prophet Muhammad used to visit all eleven of his wives in one night; but he could manage this, as he had the sexual prowess of thirty men. The historian Al-Tabari calculated that Muhammad married a total of fifteen women, though only ever eleven at one time; and two of these marriages were never consummated. This tally of fifteen does not include at least four concubines. According to Merriam-Webster, a concubine is “a woman with whom a man cohabits without being married”, and has a “social status in a household below that of a wife.” All of Muhammad’s concubines were his slaves. Al-Tabari also excludes from the fifteen several other women with whom Muhammad had some kind of marriage contract but who, due to legal technicalities, never became full wives. source Result: TRUE
- Finally, did Mohammad torture and kill unbelievers?: For the answer to this one, we shall simply quote the Qu’ran 5:33, which says
“The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement.”
There are 108 more verses that call for the execution and torture of the non-believer, and you can read them here. Result: TRUE
So as you can clearly see, while the ‘Perfect Man’ billboard might be an inconvenient truth for Muslims today, it is indeed 100% true. Far from being a perfect man, Mohammad spread his religion of Islam by the sword while he raped, pillaged and plundered his way across the Middle East. This is not hate speech, this is historical fact.
And if you are looking for a Perfect Man, the Bible says you can find Him here:
“For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.” 2 Corinthians 5:21 (KJV)
This world’s only perfect man is Jesus of Nazareth.